Monday, 14 January 2013

こんにちは! Welcome to my blog.

I'm setting up this blog to help me keep track of my own studying of Japanese but also to get in contact with other people who are learning new languages.

I'm not a professional teacher so these are only my own experiences with learning a language and I'm not linked to any of the programs and books I might link to in this blog. The only interest is that they helped me or didn't help me in my studies of Japanese (and other languages).


 Who am I?


I'm Kia, a 24 year old girl who originally comes from the Netherlands but now studies at university in the UK. In highschool I never had much interest in learning new languages and even my Dutch wasn't up to the level of most of my classmates.
Around the age of 13 I really started writing more and my language skills improved greatly. These days I write books in English (you can find a link to my blog about that on the side of the blog).
My level of English is now close to native level and I couldn't have done that without the help of tv, music and the internet.

At the moment I'm trying to learn Japanese, I'm doing mostly on my own but I'm also part of a couple of G+ groups that are about learning Japanese and other languages. I think that being part of those might help me out a lot so I won't get stuck at some point.

My practice pages when I started out learning hiragana

What are my goals?


My first goal is to learn all the hiragana, katakana and kanji (and vocabulary and grammar) that are required for N5 level Japanese. These are about 80 kanji and 500+ pieces of vocabulary.
Right now I can sight recognise all the kana (hiragana and katakana) and can write all the hirgagana (haven't started yet on katakana for writing).
To reach this goal I'll be practising 1,5 to 2 hours of Japanese every week day morning and after a few weeks I'll see what works best for me in practising Japanese. Studying hiragana and katakana is slightly different from kanji.

Apart from talking about studying Japanese I will from time to time talk about English and Dutch since it might be that other people will find that useful for their own studies. Questions are always welcome about those two languages.

I'll stop here for today.

Learn on!

Kia