Friday, 31 May 2013

Interview #5, Brome

Last day of the month and we're ending it with another interview with someone who is studying Japanese. Check it out!

Name: Brome
Country: France
Age: 39

Original language: French
New language: Japanese
Proficiency in new language: 3, Intermediate

How long have you been learning the language: 1 year and a half
Other languages you speak: English, German
Why are you learning the language: My first reason was that I wanted to read manga and watch anime in Japanese.
But as soon as I started learning it seriously, I met Japanese people online or IRL, and discovered how fun it could be to chat with them, even though my skills are still low.
I've seen many documentaries about Japan, but now I want to learn from that country from the mouths of its inhabitants.

What do you find the most fun part about learning the language: Chatting online with people and interacting with them is great.
Also, recognizing a word or even a whole sentence when watching movies or series makes my day.
What do you hate about learning the language: I hate how long it's taking me to learn it. I spend most of my free time trying to learn something or practice every day, but progress is slow. I know that I'm probably years away from being able to read a newspaper.
The most difficult aspect for me is the writing system: learning the commonly used characters (kanji) normally takes years.

What is your tip to other people learning this language: What you will learn in books, or in class, is not enough. The Japanese spoken during casual, informal conversations is very different from what you will learn from books. And I'm not talking about the difference between "ru" and "masu" forms. There are tons of expressions and abbreviations that are not taught in books.

Do you have a tip for everyone learning a new language: Try to learn from as many different and various ressources that you can find, as each of them can bring you something new.
Also, understanding is better than just learning: if you can find the reason behind a grammar rule, it will help you better understand how the language works.

Places you can find Brome online:
Google+: Brome Inay

Twitter:  @brome


Thanks so much for filling out the questionnaire Brome! I really like your tip on understanding the reason of grammar rules and not just learn them.

If you want to be featured on the blog, check out the questionnaire under Language Interviews, don't worry about the language you're learning, as long as you're learning a language.

Study on!

Kia